Tuesday 24 February 2009

Some more from the hood











Add ImageHere are some other photos from the area. One is Al Jahali Fort which is next to the park, one is of our local shops, one our apartment building and finally down town Al Ain.


We haven't eaten at Mohammad Ali Restaurant yet but are regulars at the one on the right and the supermarket at the other end. I buy my water there as well as my Etisalat phone cards and bits and pieces.

My apartment is on the other side of the building pictured, on the ground floor and has an outside area, a luxury for this kiwi girl. I have a new chair, a wooden rocker with red cushions, I can carry that out to relax with my coffee or wine.

I have my apartment quite well set up now. I bought a set of four tables from the Home Centre, dark wood and sturdy. I use them for my bedside lamp, my ipod, digital photo frame and a general one for coffee etc. I also got some pot plants on the weekend and a couple of coloured cushions, all to make the place a bit less bare, a bit more homely.
Will include some indoor photos soon. For now, I need an early night with a good book. My work is up to date, unusual, and I'm off on a trip to the fruit and vege souq with two bus loads of girls tomorrow. Will need to be very alert for that, looking forward to the fun!

6 comments:

teamcoultonoe said...

Hi Julie
Great to see some photos of your city / apartment etc - would love to see some inside ones and your coutryard.
Keep up the blog - I check it often to see how you are
Love Lyn

Jule's Short Story said...

Hi Lyn.
I should have taken a before and after in my apartment, it's looking transformed with some photos on the walls and plants. Will post photos soon.

Sorry I've been a bit slack with the emails, owe you one. Hope to get some catch up time on the weekend.

teamcoultonoe said...

Hi Julie
Don't worry about emails while you are busy - your blog keeps me up to date in the meantime
Your flat looks spacious and nice - a step up from Al Hitme!
Love Lyn

Jule's Short Story said...

Thanks mate. Even having trouble keep the blog up at the mo.

Yes the flat is amazing compared to Qatar, will have to write about my water stories soon. The flat has leaks and floods so a similar finish to Al Hitme!

Unknown said...

Searching for pics of Fort Jahali and came across your blog.

When I was 4 years old, I remember waking up in the morning to sounds of the bagpipes playing at Jahali. Back then, the Fort was whitewashed, and I could sit on the back porch stoop and see it away in the distance.

I still remember my mum bringing toast and jam out to me because I wouldn't budge until the bagpipes stopped playing.

It was all desert then - I must make the pilgrimage back 'home' some time soon.

Cheers,

Tim

Jule's Short Story said...

Wow, sounds fantastic. I've been to concerts at the fort and it's surreal, hearing the bagpipes must have been an amazing experience for a 4 year old.

Al Ain has changed even since I've been here, much busier and there seems to be lots of new ex pats. I know the fort has been restored recently and it houses the Thessinger photo exhibition that shows the UAE in the early days.

I'll publish some more pics for you soon.