Friday 27 February 2009

Connected

I've finally got my computer sorted. I now have my own internet connection, the techs called this morning to install my router. I also now have sound, such a bonus when listening to the news, checking out YouTube and most especially when using Skype. No sound means no conversation, kind of obvious that, so I haven't spoken to anyone from home properly for a number of weeks now.

Although I've been flat out getting my head around the job, keeping in contact with my family is really important to my well being. I have got heaps of company here, old friends and new, most of us experiencing low times where we miss those closest to us. Things happen at home, the bush fires in Australia and news of family problems just two recent examples that highlight how far from home we are.

It's Thursday night here, must change the time and location to Al Ain, and we had a full staff meeting today. It was great to meet some new people and engage in some good discussion about our role in this part of the world. I'm not sure how many nationalities were present but I met a Palestinian, several South Africans, many from the UK and of course the ever present ANZACs.

We gathered for lunch in one of our favourite watering holes, Trader Vics and chatted the heat of the afternoon away. I looked longingly at the pool, Rau and I have been planning to join the gym so hopefully will get that organised this weekend so I can swim.

No comments: