Thursday 8 January 2009

A very minor dilemma


Today promises to be a good one, hot and sunny, over 30C. Looking at Di's blog and the extreme weather in northern Europe on the news last night, I'm pleased to be in this hemisphere. A friend tells me that it's even cold in Doha, 16C with a freezing wind. Believe me that's cold and miserable, enough to make you hibernate. That wind comes straight off Iran, off those snowy hills a bit bigger than the Southern Alps.

It was like that when we arrived in Doha about this time of year, rain, mud, cold. Very unexpected. Luckily my friend in Doha has one of the warm red blankets we used so often in the first few months to survive the chills. I am hoping that by the time I arrive in early February, it will have warmed some. I have packed a merino or two just in case.

But today in Christchurch it's early, already in the high 20's and I'm heading to work. I've been up since the small hours with an upset tum, not so good. It could be that I ate too much off the barby last night, could be that I am feeling a bit stressed with all the changes in my life. Packing is unsettling, especially as I am packing all my things not just what I'm taking.

I've thrown out heaps, donated books, resources and clothes to friends and the City Mission. Next on the list are my shoes. I'm taking my time with these, wearing each pair lovingly and making a decision to take or keep or biff or donate. This will take some time given the stacks of shoes in my wardrobe, on the floor in my bedroom, the living room, the hall way, the stairs, the laundry. OK, so I'm a little messy and sometimes leave them where I take them off.

You see I love shoes, my only girly vice. I love coloured and patterned and black shoes. I love very high heels and flats and in between shoes. I love peep toes, sandals, strappy numbers, boots, shoes with sequins, shoes with pointy toes, my running shoes, my walking sandals. I have shoes for every outfit plus extras just in case.

I write a little later. I tried the work thing but my tum didn't get any better so I came home. After resting and reading for a bit I thought I'd finish this entry, yep that's dedication for you.

I decided that taking a photo of said shoes, that is the ones who were close by and available, might be best to make my point. Not the most artistic of photos, but see my dilemma? I am leaving the woolly slippers, the others I am sifting through. Yes Lyn, I did bring my blue Billies home with me despite promising I'd put them down the rubbish chute. Just couldn't bring myself to somehow......

2 comments:

teamcoultonoe said...

Hi Julie
Yes you must throw the Blue Billies out this time! By the way what size are you?? I might be able to give some of those shoes a home if you are around a 7 or 37!!
Love Lyn

Jule's Short Story said...

Lol! I think you might be about half a size smaller than me, sorry.

I'm thrashing the Billies at the moment and will throw them as I leave the country. Promise :)