Saturday 17 January 2009

Saying goodbye

I had my last day at work yesterday, my last day to induct another and tidy up loose ends. I had to hand over my cell phone, slight trauma and then there's my lap top. My new laptop. I'd become very attached to this piece of black plastic, metal and other things so clearing off my files was a pleasure, handing it to the new person just plain horrible. She's also at my desk so I left my lap top docked as I walked out the door looking longingly behind me. 

All this tells me something, I need a lap top of my own. I can hear others snorting with laughter, OK so you told me so many times. All my jobs since lap tops have been invented have come with one plus I have a desk top at home so I haven't really needed my own. Until now that is. I do have all my photos and important files on an external hard drive until I get my next work lap top, a useful device. 

The main problem with work laptops is that going on holidays with them is not usually allowed. So for my first trip from Al Ain to anywhere I will buy my own lap top, promise. I'll be able to write blogs from exotic cafes, drinking exotic coffee with exotic people, yeah right. 

It was a good last day as last days go, especially the bubbly and laughter at the end of the day. Laura, who tells me she will miss me, gave me a wonderful safe travel bracelet made of Jasper. It was just perfect, my colour plus a meaningful use. Thanks my friend, I will keep in touch. 

I am not big on long goodbyes, tend to move on without too much fuss. I think this comes from my nomadic childhood, so many moves, so many schools. I do love to revisit when I get the chance, to catch up on the goss. I'm back in late July so have promised to visit, for now I am heading off on a new adventure. I'm quietly excited, spending the next week packing and sorting and resting. It will be my last break for a while so will make the most of it. 

No comments: