Friday 2 January 2009

A quick trip







Well, the kids are back. No more peace and quiet, thankfully. Nick even brought back most of my my beer. They camped at Te Anau in the rain; visited Milford and went on the obligatory cruise in the fiord's, also in the rain; braved new years in Te Anau, enjoying pizza and the fireworks; drove though the Haast Pass to Makaawhio (Bruce Bay) to join the reunion at the marae, only to find no one had arrived as yet; drove up the coast to Fox Glacier; then on to Hokitika and back to Christchurch. Quite a drive in my little red car, the smallest and fastest on the road apparently. Of course it didn't miss a beat. 

They had a good time, really liked Te Anau and South Westland. I am a little afraid of the bills that might just arrive when they have headed back to Auckland. Apparently the traffic officer laughed as my little red car shot past a large Ford Falcon doing a little over 100 kms/hour. I am unconvinced he was laughing that a Peugeot 106 XSI could pass a Falcon as Nick assured me. I think he was more likely laughing because he had made his daily quota so early in the day and could go home. Gotta love hand held speed cameras, we shall see. 

My camera also went on this hikoi and there are many photos of their adventures. I have included some here. Nick and Court's planning meeting; Milford Sound in the brooding wet; waterfalls; Haast Pass; Roaring Billy Falls; and Fox Glacier. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My In-Laws used to live in Te Anau, so that was where I stayed when I first visited New Zealand eight years ago. Then Husband drove me up the west coast, and we were nearly washed off the face of the planet

Jule's Short Story said...

Such a beautiful place, and yes it rains a bit on the coast. Having lived there for 15 years with small children I understood axe murderers.