Thursday 1 January 2009

Metaphors

Last year I wrote a list of things I had learnt in a week. The thoughtfulness of people was part of that learning. My colleagues gave me some gifts when I left work showing me how well they knew me. One gift was a book called i never metaphor i didn't like by Dr Mardy Grothe.

I have so enjoyed reading it, reading about the differences between metaphors, similes and analogies, enjoyed reading these. Some make me laugh. Some make me reflect. Some I'll share here. I like this one about puns included from the book Get thee to a punnery:

Puns are a three way circus of words:
words clowning, words teetering on tightropes,
words swinging from tent-tops,
words thrusting their heads into the mouth of lions

Richard Lederer

A thing I like to do is substitute words in such puns/metaphors/similes. This saves me making up my own, why reinvent the wheel when there are so many clever people out there. Sorry Richard, but take out the word puns and add the word life. Then alter the tense. Read it like that then take out the word words and adjust slightly.

I think it works........

No comments: