Thursday 1 January 2009

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year, she shouts from the roof tops while watching fireworks explode over the city. OK so I'm writing the day after, so needed my beauty sleep last night.

2009 has arrived, quietly for me but then so did 2008 and look at how far from quiet that one turned out to be. 2009 is to be a year of travel and adventure, the beginning of a new chapter in my life. That began in late 2007 when I said yes to a question I might otherwise have said no to, then yes to several more in 2008. The die was cast, my feet had been itchy for some time. I head off again before the end of this month.

I made the mistake of checking the news this morning and felt very sad, and angry, when I saw the troubles in the world continuing into this new year. Troubled by the lack of value placed on the lives of people by others due to their race, culture, religion. Travel opens your eyes to the value of other human beings, no matter their race, culture, religion.

But I'll write some more about that soon, for now I'll sign off with this quote:

The world is a book,
and those who do not travel read only one page

St Augustine

This is my travel log, the story of my hikoi, my long walk, my journey and adventures, the rest of my book. I hope those who read it enjoy it. Feedback is always appreciated.

Happy New Year!

No comments: