Sunday 14 September 2008

Sunday afternoon

I don't like Sunday afternoons, well that is I really like them until it gets to the sun going down time of the afternoon. Until the warmth goes out of the air and twilight descends. I went for a long walk in the hills this afternoon, walking and thinking as I do. The mountains looked special, too bright to photograph but the snow against the blue sky was wonderful to see. 

I have been thinking about my friends a lot lately. Cals and I hope to Skype today, I'm at the computer waiting for her to come on line now. I had a chat to Kim in London yesterday. I have also been chatting to Sue. She's having some tough times, friends are rallying around to help where they can. Contact with her is very important, as it has always been. I talked to my youngest today. He was in the mood for a long chat so that's what we had. 

Friends from the Coast also dropped in for a coffee on the way to thrash the shops. It was good to sit in the sun and catch up with the gossip. Easy when everyone knows everyone else, as happens in small town New Zealand and I'm sure in other villages around the world. It makes me feel my age when their lovely son tells me he's now 20. I remember teaching him when he was 7 or 8 years old. He's still the lovely young man he was then, bright and sociable. 

Yesterday Raukura and I went to the craft/food/art/photography show. It was wonderful to be able to take some time, forget about time, and just wander and look and taste and marvel at the creativity of people. I have been to similar shows with Tim. We have been in and out in 15 minutes in military like precision just stopping at the relevant stalls. Raukura's flat mate is the same, a female version of speedy Tim. She was relieved I went, it let her off the hook. We discussed this later at the pub watching the rugby and having a few quiets. 

So all in all a satisfying weekend of contact, friends and family and Sunday sunshine. I was even inspired to weed my herb garden, that inspiration didn't last long. 

No comments: