Tuesday 19 August 2008

Poems

I am a bit of a poet and may take a risk adding some of mine to this blog one day soon. For now, I want to share an extract from one of my old English teacher's collection. Barry Mitcalfe was a wonderful man, an inspirational teacher who encouraged me in my writing. He entered some of my work into competitions and I got some great feedback from those. 
He also fed my Bob Dylan habit by leaving me with some of Bob's older albums when he went traveling. Those and Dylan Thomas'  A Child's Christmas in Wales on a record read by Richard Burton. Fantastic and something I would love to find if anyone out there knows of a copy. 
Back to his poems. This is from a book called Beach. 

Beachhead
Beach claims me
I am it's territory
I sleep with beach
I belong, I cleave
the wave, I have
come home, beach is all 
I have ever known


No comments: