Tuesday 26 August 2008

Oh no, what a day!

It started off well enough, woke with a sore throat and feeling like I wanted sleep for much longer. I think I should have listened to my body and rung in sick, but no says the person with 22 sick days up her sleeve, I'm expected somewhere so I'll go. 
I dragged myself up and out of the house. My visit went really well, my feeling of being unwell didn't change so I slipped off early and went home to write up my reports. The night before I had spent some considerable time catching up on my reports, a curse of this job. I am also writing an article for a journal and I had worked on this a bit over the past few days. 
Then the day turned to custard. I turned on my trusty lap top, the one where I have had to have an external mouse for some time. The built in mouse pad gets hot enough to burn and the curser shoots around with a mind of it's own shutting me down every now and again without warning. My tech guy told me that it was only a matter of time until the whole computer gave up the ghost. That time was today.......
I have the ability to back up at work and luckily had done so fully before I went to Qatar. I had also backed up individual files and emailed others so not too much lost. Well by not too much, I mean the whole article which was taking shape nicely, some personal photos of my travels and a pile of the dreaded reports. The words from the lovely computer tech Kylie, sorry can't retrieve any of your files, the computer is too far gone. I knew those noises were ominous. Sigh, back to the drawing board. 
The good thing is that I have a replacement lap top sitting here tonight, a computer in a similar state to the dead one so I am not going to do any catch up work tonight, well except catching up on a nice light pino gris or several. The best feeling like I've got the flu antidote that I know. 

No comments: