Monday 4 August 2008

And on Monday...

It seems a bit of a shame, I've had to go to the cellar to get a bottle for tonight. Well to call the back of the laundry, under the stairs cupboard a cellar is stretching it a bit but there resides those special bottles. Not the quaffing type, not the Monday night after work ones but the keep for special occasions ones. 
I suppose it is a special occasion, I've got no quaffing wine left in the cupboard, so needs must! I'm drinking a very good Penfolds Bin 28 Kalimna Shiraz 2001. It's very good, well matured and smooth. I should really be able to describe it more eloquently that that having been to a wine appreciation course while in Qatar.
Well, I did attend but it ended badly for me. I am not that big and can enjoy wine all night if I have enough to eat alongside the vino. Alas that was not be, although I did have dinner, the supper came too late for me. If I had made it to the end of the selection I might have been able to describe this wine as an oaky number with subtle tannins and a ripe spicy finish. 
We sampled many that night and the direction of the pourer was towards me so I got more than most in the glass top ups. There are photos to prove that. At some point, still lucid enough to record the event on my camera, I left the party, was assisted to bed and woke with a very sore head in the early hours. 
A little later I write, it has turned into a special occasion so lucky I had opened a good bottle. My friend Rose turned up with Thai so I had help with the Penfolds as we chatted about changing the world, as we do. I am on my own for the night so perfect for catching up with friends.
 

No comments: