Tuesday 15 July 2008

Movies

One of the things I missed in Qatar was going to the movies. We had discussed this in our group and decided that it was in the too hard basket although there were movie theatres in some of the malls.
Annie and I get together when we can for drinks and a movie, so we arranged on Friday night to go and see Second Hand Wedding, a New Zealand movie one of my colleagues had enjoyed. It was a tough call as Sex in the City was the other choice! What swayed it really was that it was at the Arts Centre in the Cloisters, a theatre with lovely amibiance. That and it was close to the Dux a vegetarian restaurant and bar. We must be getting old to choose that over gorgeous, naked men!
I had to laugh, all around Europe and in Qatar I had often offered, and been asked, to take photos of people on their cameras. We had been in the Dux about 10 minutes when the table next to us asked for such a photo. The young couple were newly weds and they had family with them so wanted to record the moment. Annie and I got snapping with both their cameras, and they were delighted with the results.
After grabbing a bite to eat and a wine and talking each others ears off, as we do, off we went. The movie was fantastic, badly acted in places but a real heart warming story. A very New Zealand story that contained the best about us, and the worst. I won't give away the story line but Annie and I laughed and cried and then laughed and cried at the same time. It touched home in places too where people were being hard on each other and themselves. It was set in a beautiful part of New Zealand, the Kapiti Coast, and the shots of people on the beach made me hungry to revisit my beach places in the north.

No comments: