Wednesday 25 June 2008

The tastes

I love food so it seemed appropriate that I begin my European journey by talking about the tastes. First of all Italy has the best espresso in the world, well I know everyone knows that already but I just had to say it again. Team up a fine espresso with a crema cornetto and you have the perfect breakfast, one Di and I enjoyed most mornings at our favorite cafe, Bella Roma. The photo is of the Bella Roma barista and Di. Also in Roma, we discovered the best gelato I have ever tasted. It even out classed the wonderful vanilla and chocolate gelato in the Souqs in Doha. Although their raspberry sorbet was right up there. The gelato was Amarino cherry flavor and came from the Millennium Gelateria just down the steps from Viale Vaticano. Di and I saw many people in the piazza at the bottom of the steps eating gelato so thought if the locals eat there......and we were right!  Although I tried cherry gelato all over Italy, the one from the Millennium was never surpassed. 
Also in Roma, we ate at the Ristocampo at Trastevere. Not only do they have an excellent philosophy with signs outside stating that they are "against the war and the tourist menu" but their seafood pasta was sublime especially when washed down with a nice Chianti.  

No comments: