Tuesday 1 July 2008

Amalfi



Muzz and I left Rome on the train with a Trenitalia 7 day ticket, an excellent ticket where we could hop on and off trains for 7 days within 2 months. This was plenty for us and it worked out heaps cheaper and more convenient than booking individual journeys. 
Our first stop was Salerno at the start of the Amalfi Coast. It was a public holiday so very little was open but we did find an internet place so we could book the nights accommodation. Traveling without planning is fun but at times has it's pitfalls, like trying to find somewhere on the day. We found a place within our budget at a place called Praiano. 
It didn't look far on the map. We jumped on the local bus and the adventures began. Wow, the coast is amazing, steep drops into the sea, narrow roads, actually very narrow one way in places roads. Made us very pleased we didn't drive and were in a big bus! The short journey took us over two hours. We told the driver the name of our hotel and he dropped us at the road. Looking up, I was once again pleased I'd packed light. It was a long haul up the hill dragging our bags. 
The hotel was worth it, an amazing view as well as wonderful friendly owners and staff. The Holiday Hotel, very original I know, had a wonderful menu. The food was a delight, the lemon risotto and the dessert, strawberries in a sweet sauce, yum. I even sampled some of the local wine. The view from the balcony was spectacular. I couldn't believe the way the houses, hotels, gardens and lemon groves were suspended on the sides of the steep hills. 
I fell in love with the place, especially after I had had my first swim in the Medit for a few years. The water was deep and it was a bit scary getting in off the slipway the first time but after that poor Muzz had plenty of time to sleep while I enjoyed the water. 

No comments: