Friday 30 May 2008

Espresso

Italy is of course famous for its espresso, its wonderful coffee. I love coffee and while in Qatar struggled to get a decent one. I drink double espress or dopio. I had a lot of fun arriving in Roma and asking for espresso in English in small cafes. The baristas usually look at me sceptically and ask "cafe latte?". Again I ask for espresso, they show me the cup, I nod....a small pantomine! To confuse matters further, Di likes cafe latte so she sends me in to ask while she holds a table. So here I am in a Roma cafe asking for an espresso and a caffe latte, the poor barista. I got hot milk and an espresso, so it began again.....with smiles and gestures to my waiting companion, asking for an espresso. I surprised one barista, as he watched me drink my espresso, with a bellisima. His smile lit up the room, much to our surprise! In our favourite cafe, a small one on the way to Piazza Narvona where we have breakfast most mornings, we got some photos of the owner as he served us our coffee, the two crazy New Zealanders one of whom drinks espresso.

No comments: